[SOLVED] How do i approximate the value of a point on the trendline?

  1. #1
    Dheer
    Guest

    [SOLVED] How do i approximate the value of a point on the trendline?

    I created a polynomial trendline for a sales forecast. How do i figure out a
    appriximate value for a point on the trendline

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: How do i approximate the value of a point on the trendline?

    Dheer,

    Double-click on your trendline, go to Options -> Display Equation on Chart.
    Once Excel displays the equation, substitute some number for X to calculate Y
    to get a point value. Typically, you could substitute 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
    .. . . etc. for X to get a series of corresponding Y values. If you plotted
    those XY values, they should mirror your trendline.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: How do i approximate the value of a point on the trendline?

    Be certain to display the coefficients in scientific notation with 14
    decimal places, otherwise you will get rounded coefficients that may not
    produce good estimates with your data.

    Alternately, you can use the LINEST() and TREND() worksheet functions to
    estimate polynomials
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...Polynomial.htm
    In Excel versions prior to 2003, LINEST uses a different algorithm that
    may have more numerical problems with challenging data or high order
    polynomials than the chart trendline.

    Jerry