graphs from multiple worksheet : query

  1. #1
    Lia
    Guest

    graphs from multiple worksheet : query

    Hi all, if you copy a graph from an Excel spreadsheet into a Word
    document as a Excel object so that you can modify it from the Word doc
    itself, do you know whether it is possible to add a new worksheet to
    the underlying excel document, and make the word doc recognize the
    updated file?

    Apparently, when I update the spreadsheet adding a new worksheet, and
    then I open an old graph on the word document, referring to the
    previous excel document, it does not see the new sheet on the excel,
    but considers only the document from which the graph comes from.

    I would like to be able to modify the excel file, and make the word
    doc connect to the file, with all the current changes.

    Any suggestion is more than welcome, thank you!

    Lia

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: graphs from multiple worksheet : query

    Lia -

    Try copying the Excel chart, and using Paste Link in Word. The Excel object isn't
    itself embedded in Word, it remains a standalone workbook. Word is linked to the
    current version of the workbook; when you edit the linked object, it opens the
    actual file, not the copy you had pasted earlier.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services