format one data series, with error bars, and use it as default

  1. #1
    JBR
    Guest

    format one data series, with error bars, and use it as default

    In Excel can I format one data series with custom plus and minus standard
    deviation error bars and custom colors and then have the chart use that as
    the default? I couln't use a format painter to do.

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: format one data series, with error bars, and use it as default

    JBR,

    Yes, once you've created the chart with your custom error bars and colors,
    save it to the Custom Types Gallery:

    (1) Select (active) the chart.
    (2) Go to Chart -> Chart Type -> Custom Types Tab -> User Defined.
    (3) Click the Add button and you should see the Add Custom Chart Type
    Dialog box.
    (4) Enter a name and optional description for your chart.
    (5) Click OK and your chart should appear in the Chart Type box.
    (6) Use the "Set As Default Type" button which also appears under the
    Custom Types Tab to cause Excel to use your new chart as the default.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    JBR

    "JBR" wrote:

    > In Excel can I format one data series with custom plus and minus standard
    > deviation error bars and custom colors and then have the chart use that as
    > the default? I couln't use a format painter to do.

    John, This will save a me a huge amount of time. Thanks.