y error bars

  1. #1
    Peggy
    Guest

    y error bars

    I have graphed some data where each data point is the
    average of 5 replicates. I did the statistics in a program
    other than Excel. In my Excel graph, under 'Format Data
    Series' I have never understood how to add y error bars.
    It seems to me the data set that generated the graph
    doesn't have enough information to do this. It doesn't
    know the value of each of the five replicates, just the
    average.
    What am I missing?

  2. #2
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: y error bars

    Peggy -

    > I have graphed some data where each data point is the average of 5
    > replicates. I did the statistics in a program other than Excel. In my
    > Excel graph, under 'Format Data Series' I have never understood how to add
    > y error bars. It seems to me the data set that generated the graph doesn't
    > have enough information to do this. It doesn't know the value of each of
    > the five replicates, just the average. What am I missing? <

    A measure of variation?

    Like range or standard deviation.

    - Mike

    www.mikemiddleton.com

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: y error bars

    Peggy -

    When Brand X computes the average, it could also compute the standard deviation.
    These could be placed in an adjacent worksheet range, and used as the custom +/-
    error bar values. For more detailed instruction, look here:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ErrorBars.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Peggy
    Guest

    Re: y error bars

    Thank you. I have printed out the info you suggested and am
    in the process of studying it. I might have to get back to
    you later.

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest