how do i change data on the x or y axis...

  1. #1
    internet team
    Guest

    how do i change data on the x or y axis...

    I am creating a chart to compare the # of emails received by day per hour...I
    would like the days Sunday thru Sat to appear on the left of the chart. At
    the bottom of the chart, I would like the times to appear (ie 12am - 11pm) by
    hour...I would also like the number of emails to be present in the graph.
    How do I do this???

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: how do i change data on the x or y axis...

    Just a suggestion - the chart would look very busy with the data being
    displayed by day by and hour. You might try setting your data up like this
    (assume "Sun" is in cell A2 and the title "12am-6am" in cell B1:

    12am-6am 6am-12pm 12pm-6pm 6pm-12am
    Sun 5 7 5 7
    Mon 7 6 4 5
    Tue 6 7 5 6
    Wed 7 8 6 4
    Thu 8 9 7 5
    Fri 9 8 8 6
    Sat 6 7 7 6

    Put your curser in cell A1, go to the Chart Wizard, and choose the Stacked
    Column option.

    ----
    Regards.
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: how do i change data on the x or y axis...

    "Chart" can also mean "table".

    Take a listing of arrival times in column A, put the corresponding days in column B,
    using a formula like =TEXT(A3,"dddd") if you want, and the hours in column C, using
    =TIME(HOUR(A3),0,0). The first few rows look like this:

    Arrival Day Hour
    1/1/2005 0:15 Saturday 12:00 AM
    1/1/2005 2:05 Saturday 2:00 AM
    1/1/2005 3:55 Saturday 3:00 AM
    1/1/2005 5:45 Saturday 5:00 AM
    1/1/2005 7:35 Saturday 7:00 AM
    1/1/2005 9:25 Saturday 9:00 AM
    1/1/2005 11:15 Saturday 11:00 AM
    etc.

    Make a pivot table with Day in the rows area, Hour in the columns area, and Count of
    Arrival in the data area. The top corner of it will look like this:

    Count of Arrival Hour
    Day 12:00 AM 1:00 AM 2:00 AM 3:00 AM
    Sunday 1 1 1
    Monday 1 1