Line chart - date line association gone mad!

  1. #1
    Johannes Czernin
    Guest

    Line chart - date line association gone mad!

    Hi, everybody,

    I have just found this newsgroup and I wonder if anyone could help me with a
    problem that has suddenly turned up:

    I run Excel in an Office97 package on a Win98 system computer. I have a
    workbook that has one column for consecutive calendar dates and another
    column, among others, with a "Weight" entry for each day. After each line
    containing an entry in these two columns there are several more lines
    following with various values for that day but with both the "Date" and the
    "Weight" column cells empty. If anybody guessed, BTW, that this project
    could have something to do with both "Weight Watchers" and my dear beloved
    wife he would not be too wrong! :-)

    On a separate sheet there is a line chart associated to this worksheet
    table. It is set to display "Calendar Date" on the X-axis (declared as "time
    axis") and the corresponding "Weight" entry for each calendar day on the
    Y-axis. Currently the X-axis is scaled for one full year, i.e. from 1
    January 2005 to 31 December 2005. The entire setup has been in constant use
    and totally free from errors for several years running.

    This morning, when I opened the workbook, the association between the table
    entries and the chart display suddenly has gone awry. The line with the
    "Weight" values is here, but instead of following the current date, from 1
    January to 16 January, it has become stretched out from the beginning of the
    year to somewhere around April or May.

    Checking the data line reveals that for each datapoint the display for X and
    Y are still correct - they only do not line up with the proper point on the
    X-axis anymore. I have tried whatever I could think of, but to no avail. I
    have even tried to re-create a new instance of that chart from scratch, but
    to my utmost surprise this turned out to not display the data line at all!

    I would very much appreciate any suggestion as to what could have gone wrong
    here.

    Thank you very much in advance for any help,

    Kind regards,

    Johannes

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Line chart - date line association gone mad!

    Were the x-axis scale max/min values set manually? And, have now
    become automatic? Double-click the x-axis then select the Scale tab.

    Or was the original plot range set to the entire year and now utilizes
    only a part of the range. In the chart select the weight series and
    then check SERIES formula. What range does it cover?

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

  3. #3
    Johannes Czernin
    Guest

    Re: Line chart - date line association gone mad!

    Hi, Tusher,

    "Tushar Mehta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Were the x-axis scale max/min values set manually? And, have now
    > become automatic? Double-click the x-axis then select the Scale tab.

    Thanks for your quick first try to lead me by my hand.

    Originally the X-axis values were set tjr usual way, i.e. by marking the
    range with the cursor. I have now checked the current situation: The boxes
    for minimum, maximum and "Value axis intersects at..." do show the correct
    entries. "Unit" is set for days, "Main interval" is set for 1 month,
    "secondary interval" for 7 days. Of all the checkboxes in the Scaling dialog
    box, however, only "unit" has a check mark, the others are empty.

    I have tried to fiddle around with these entries but as soon as I change
    anything Excel would revert to its old horror of jumping back to 1 January
    1900 and filling up the entire chart with hundreds of closely spaced grid
    lines, or it would simply overlay the entire diagram with a black layer.
    Manually changing back to my "good" entries in the box reverts the chart to
    the current state with the value series line extending far forward into the
    year.

    Please note that my descriptions of the various Excel elements might be a
    bit unusual - I am working with a German language version of the program and
    as I unfortunately do not have an English original at hand I have to try to
    translate back..... and as Microsoft of course have blundered quite a lot
    when progressing from their English original to the various foreign language
    versions the re-engineering I am into now is not easy, ending up in more or
    less educated guesses more frequently than desired! :-) I don't know if you
    are familiar with this problem but I can assure you I have found numerous
    instances in various programs from MS, like Word, Excel or Access, where
    even a native German speaker would not understand what a particular menu
    item, or a help function detail, was intended to be unless he happens to be
    more or less fluent in English!

    > Or was the original plot range set to the entire year and now utilizes
    > only a part of the range. In the chart select the weight series and
    > then check SERIES formula. What range does it cover?

    Originally the plot range, of course, comprised the full year. Nothing was
    changed here and everything was perfectly in order the last time the program
    was terminated. When it was re-started the following morning the chart just
    came up with its crazy display.

    What would you suggest as the next step in the analyzing process? Just for
    your info, by the way, I may add I'm no newbie with these things so please
    don't hesitate to go into as intricate technical details as you might think
    useful!

    Thanks once again,

    Kind regards,

    Johannes

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Line chart - date line association gone mad!

    Hi Johannes,

    As far as MS's translations of its products into other languages goes,
    I have very little knowledge of this field. Of course, your
    description of the various fields was just fine.

    I am at a bit of a loss as to why you suddenly started having this
    problem. Did you install any new software? And, I mean any as in from
    any source. How update a new XL (or other Office) add-in? Upgrade
    Office? Update it with a service pack? Change any settings? In XL or
    the OS. Regional settings, maybe? Changed anything in Tools |
    Options... | Transition tab in XL?

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <%%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

  5. #5
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Line chart - date line association gone mad!

    There have been reports of google desktop search causing problems

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  6. #6
    Johannes Czernin
    Guest

    Re: Line chart - date line association gone mad!

    "Tushar Mehta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I am at a bit of a loss as to why you suddenly started having this
    > problem. Did you install any new software? And, I mean any as in from
    > any source. How update a new XL (or other Office) add-in? Upgrade
    > Office? Update it with a service pack? Change any settings? In XL or
    > the OS. Regional settings, maybe? Changed anything in Tools |
    > Options... | Transition tab in XL?

    Hi, Tushar,

    No, none of the above - nothing was added, nothing was changed..... I just
    shut down the machine in the evening and restarted it the next morning.

    The crazy thing is that the defective workbook does have another pair of
    table-plus-chart with exactly the same settings and this one has been
    unaffected! Make sense of of that! :-)

    Anyhow, I'm completely at loss..... and BTW I can't update my operating
    system as WinXP will not work on my stone age computer (233 mHz Pentax-2). I
    did try exactly that about a year ago but I had to change back to Win98
    after a week or so of continous, unbearable trouble - in spite of the fact
    that my system is well above what the good people at Microsoft are
    recommending as "minimum specs" for WinXP!

    Kind regards,

    Johannes

  7. #7
    Johannes Czernin
    Guest

    Re: Line chart - date line association gone mad!

    Hi, Don,

    Good hint but not applicable - I'm extremely careful not to let any such
    nonsense get onto my computer!

    Thanks anyhow,

    Kind regards,

    Johannes

    :[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Johannes Czernin
    Guest

    Re: Line chart - date line association gone mad!

    Advise to everybody who kindly tried to help me:

    Hi, Andy,

    The totally unexpected :-) has happened: I found the cause! It was really
    hard to locate - in a table containing several THOUSAND rows one small text
    entry composed of both letters and numbers had inadvertently slid one row
    too far and settled in a column supposed to have date entries exclusively.

    Nevertheless I really appreciate your quick intervention!

    Kind regards,

    Johannes

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Line chart - date line association gone mad!

    DUH! I should have thought of that, especially since it has happened
    to me!

    Thanks for letting everyone know what happened.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <4%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...