How to change the color of all series in an excel chart in one go.

  1. #1
    Mz2
    Guest

    How to change the color of all series in an excel chart in one go.

    In Excel 2000
    I have a chart (XY) with a large number of series. Excel assigns different
    colours to each series. I would like to have the same colour for all series
    and then change a few to highlight them. Do I have to change them all one by
    one or can I have excel make a chart where the series all have the same
    colour (preferably chosen by me)?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to change the color of all series in an excel chart in onego.

    Marielle -

    Format one series the way you'd like them all to look. Select another series, and
    press the F4 key to repeat, Select another and press F4 again, and continue until
    you've changed them all.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Prague, Czechia
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: How to change the color of all series in an excel chart in one go.

    Hello,

    to me, it honestly does not look as fully solved.
    What if I do have 255 series inside the chart?
    What if they are often lying very close to each other?

    Even clicking on each other and pushing F4 is extremely laborious.
    I would have to change the ratio on the y-axis multiple times to distinguish e.g. parallel close-lying lines each time...
    (I do consider some MO diagram which is basically series with x={1;2} and y_i={e_i;e_i} for many values of e_i - but multiple times several e_i lies close to each other)

    The answer should not be "then just use UNIX tool such as xmgrace", I would hope there is some smart tool in MS Excel too.

    At least if Excel could avoid very bright colors in the automatic coloring - they are so badly seen on screen and invisible on print.

    Best regards,
    JakubV

  4. #4
    Forum Expert
    Belgium, Alveringem
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003, 2007, 365
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: How to change the color of all series in an excel chart in one go.

    you look in a very old topic, 2005 !!!
    With a small macro and a table, you can modify all your 255 series in a seconde (color, markers, linestyle, thickness, ...

    But 255 series, is that workable ???
    Remember, saying thanks only takes a second or two. Click the little star * below, to give some Rep if you think an answer deserves it.