Second serie doesn't use X-as values

  1. #1
    JackRnl
    Guest

    Second serie doesn't use X-as values

    I created a chart on a worksheet and defined the X-ax (Category Xax
    label =Position!$G$4:$G$42) and the first serie (Values
    =Position!$O$4:$O$42). Everything looks OK.
    Now I add another serie (Values =Position!$P$4:$P$42) and although this
    line should be straight it doesn't.
    If I select the first serie in the chart both the ranges for the X-ax
    (G) and the values (O) are marked on the worksheet.
    If I select the second serie in the chart ONLY the range for the values
    (P) has been marked.
    Also , if I delete the first serie from the chart after selection it,
    the values displayed for the X-ax in the chart are changed to 1...N
    (where N is the number of points in the range for the "second" serie).

    The values in range the X-ax (G) are NOT evenly distributed
    (310,315,320,321,322,323,324,325,330,335,336,337,338,339,340,360,380 etc)
    So to me it seems entering the second serie DOESN'T use the X-ax defined
    but creates its own X-values for each point .

    Does anyne know how I can actually use the defined X-ax
    (Position!$G$4:$G$42) for ALL series?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Second serie doesn't use X-as values

    Jack -

    I suspect you've made a line chart, when you really needed an XY Scatter chart.
    These articles have more information:

    Scatter Chart or Line Chart?

    X Axis: Category or Value?
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...ValueAxis.html