Displaying frequency polygons in Excel (Statistics)

  1. #1
    Maxiem
    Guest

    Displaying frequency polygons in Excel (Statistics)

    If I would like to compare two sets of data and display using as a frequency
    polygon, can I do that in Excel. I tried using scatter charts and line chart,
    but it puts the data on the Y axis, and I want it to be on the X-axis. Is
    there a way to define what I want displayed on the X and Y axes incrementally
    without it automatically numbering these axes automatically in Excel?

  2. #2
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Displaying frequency polygons in Excel (Statistics)

    Maxiem -

    An XY (Scatter) chart type uses numerical values for both axes.

    The Line chart type uses category labels on the X axis (equally spaced) and
    numerical values on the Y axis.

    If you use an XY (Scatter) chart type to display two data series, where each
    data series has both X and Y values, you can change the individual data
    being displayed on the vertical and horizontal axes using Chart | Source
    Data | Series.

    - Mike

    www.mikemiddleton.com

    +++++++++++++++++++++++

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Maxiem
    Guest

    Re: Displaying frequency polygons in Excel (Statistics)

    Hi Mike,
    I actually figured this one out. I needed to have the data set up adjacent
    on the spreadsheet and select all of it to get the proper ranges that I was
    looking for using the scatterplot graph. I do have one other question though.
    My data range is ok now, with 69.5, 89.5, 109.5, 149.5, 169.5, 189.5 on the
    X-axis. I had to go into Format Axis and change the min and max to 69.5 and
    189.5 and then change the major unit to 20 for them all to display as I
    wanted them to. However, for some reason the first two showed as 69.5, 89.5
    and then the rest rounded up to 110, 150, etc. I somehow got it back the way
    I wanted it, but is there a setting to change so that it doesn't round like
    that when I want to show the specific class boundaries? Let me know. Thanks.

    Maxiem

  4. #4
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Displaying frequency polygons in Excel (Statistics)

    Maxiem -

    Regarding "the first two showed as 69.5, 89.5 and then the rest rounded up
    to 110, 150, etc," for an XY (Scatter) chart type, I think the same number
    formating (using Format Axis | Number | Linked To Source) applies to all
    value labels on the X axis, so this appearance could not happen. For the
    Line chart type, the X axis uses the text format of the values on the sheet,
    so different number formats would be possible. I think.

    - Mike