How To Refresh Chart Data Without Calculating The Worksheet

  1. #1
    Carl Bowman
    Guest

    How To Refresh Chart Data Without Calculating The Worksheet

    I am trying to refresh a chart in an Excel 2000 worksheet without
    recalculating the whole worksheet. Tried using the following syntax to no
    avail (this is not a pivot chart):

    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Select
    ActiveChart.Refresh

    Thanks,
    Carl

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: How To Refresh Chart Data Without Calculating The Worksheet

    Carl,

    Please try one of these:

    Sub RefreshChart1()
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Activate
    ActiveChart.Refresh
    End Sub

    or

    Sub RefreshChart2()
    Dim Cht As Chart
    Set Cht = ActiveChart
    Cht.Refresh
    End Sub

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Carl Bowman
    Guest

    RE: How To Refresh Chart Data Without Calculating The Worksheet

    Thanks John, but neither worked. I even tried several variations of your
    commands with no help. I know the chart is working correctly because I can
    calculate the worksheet and the chart updates fine but that is not an option.
    Please let me know if you have any other ides.
    Carl

  4. #4
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: How To Refresh Chart Data Without Calculating The Worksheet

    Carl

    Would this work . . hopefully the effect is to disconnect the source range
    and then connect it again. As a result, the chart refreshes without having
    to perform a recalculation:

    Sub ResetSourceData()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    On Error Resume Next
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Activate
    ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
    ActiveChart.Delete
    ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B8:C11")
    End Sub

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  5. #5
    Carl Bowman
    Guest

    RE: How To Refresh Chart Data Without Calculating The Worksheet

    John, That was a great try but it also did not work, even when I tried
    several variations. I even tried rebooting the pc and creating a completely
    new file and chart just in case. Thanks for trying.
    Carl

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How To Refresh Chart Data Without Calculating The Worksheet

    Carl -

    This probably won't work, then, either, but it's a thought I had reading up to this
    point:

    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Formula = _
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Formula

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP