Closed Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

How do I show summary totals from a pivot table on a bar chart

  1. #1
    Colleen T
    Guest

    How do I show summary totals from a pivot table on a bar chart

    I created a pivot table which shows the both individual and grand totals
    based on the fields I selected. I then created a bar chart based on this
    pivot table. What I would like to do is show the grand totals as well as the
    individual totals. Is this possible, if so how do I do it?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I show summary totals from a pivot table on a bar chart

    Colleen -

    You can add textboxes to the chart, which are linked to worksheet cells. Select the
    chart, press the equals key, then navigate to and click on the cell and press Enter.
    The contents of the cell are displayed in a new textbox in the middle of the
    chart. Move and format this textbox, and add the next one.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Colleen T
    Guest

    Re: How do I show summary totals from a pivot table on a bar chart

    When I try this (link to the pivot table's summary total) I get an error
    saying not a valid function. The function line contains
    =GETPIVOTDATA("Personnel no.",'P2'!$A$3)

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I show summary totals from a pivot table on a bar chart

    Oh yeah, I forgot about that PITA. You have to type in the cell reference if the
    cell resides within a pivot table, because a formula in a textbox or other chart
    element must refer only to a range address or a defined name. You need the sheet
    name also, so after pressing =, type something like this:

    =Sheet1!A1

    if the sheet name has spaces, you need to surround it with single quotes:

    ='Sheet One'!A1

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    MW Field
    Guest

    Re: How do I show summary totals from a pivot table on a bar chart

    Hello,

    You’re on the right track to putting automatically updated grand totals on
    your pivot charts, but there are a couple of problems you might encounter
    with that technique.

    Here’s one solution that admittedly lacks elegance, but works. It’s what
    you would expect to be able to do in one step, but Excel won’t permit that.
    It works just the way you want if you do it in two steps, strangely.

    Step 1: Create another worksheet in your workbook as a staging area for
    the totals you want to collect. Eg.) For human resource work force
    analysis:

    | A | B
    --+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
    1 | Total # of Poets | For each row in this column, enter the equals
    sign, and
    | | point at the wily grand total you want to capture
    on the
    | | PivotTable worksheet. The result will be something
    like:
    | | =GETPIVOTDATA(….)
    --+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
    2 | Total # of Skiers | =GETPIVOTDATA(….)
    --+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
    3 | Total # Employees | =GETPIVOTDATA(….)
    --+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------

    Step 2: As per Jon’s instructions, go to the Pivot Chart and click anywhere
    to select the chart. Create a calculated text field by entering = in the
    formula bar, and point at the column B value in the intermediate worksheet.
    These totals will change automatically and correctly as you change the values
    of the dynamic fields on your pivot chart and pivot table.

    Why does this work when we’re not permitted to enter the GETPIVOTDATA
    function directly in the pivot chart formula bar? Why is the sky blue?
    This is also the way to get around other restrictions on the functions you
    can use in that context, for example, putting the current date on a report
    with the TODAY() function.

    Regards,
    Margaret

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I show summary totals from a pivot table on a bar chart

    Hi Margaret -

    > Why does this work when we’re not permitted to enter the GETPIVOTDATA
    > function directly in the pivot chart formula bar?

    The only place you can put formulas that need to calculate something or use some
    kind of look up function (which GETPIVOTDATA is) is in the worksheet, either in a
    worksheet cell, or in a defined name. Any other Excel object that accepts formulas
    only works with formulas that are basically simple links. Textboxes, titles and data
    labels in charts, these all need just a qualified cell address.

    By manually entering the cell references into the textbox links, I was hoping to
    avoid the intermediate GETPIVOTDATA formulas.

    - Jon
    -------