How do I make a section of a chart line dotted?

  1. #1
    odcltd
    Guest

    How do I make a section of a chart line dotted?

    I have an Excel chart, a line graph with 10 data sets charted on it. The
    time scale is 2000 to 2007 and I'd like the forecast data, i.e. 2005 to 2007
    to be dotted.

    Therefore the line should be solid to 2004, then dotted thereafter. Is
    there an easy way to create such a line?

    I'm using Office Excel 2003 v11.5

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: How do I make a section of a chart line dotted?

    Unfortunately you can not break up the formatting on a trend line like you
    can a normal series. To get around this limitation, plot a second series
    that reflects your trendline. You can use the TREND and/or FORECAST
    functions to build the new trendline. Once the trendline is available as a
    second series, you can apply individual formatting to the points and series
    as you would with any other chart series.

    Although this example contains a lot more than you need, the basic concept
    of adding the trend as an additional series is described here:

    http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce..._linear_trend/

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I make a section of a chart line dotted?

    You have a couple choices. If you want to keep just a single series, select one by
    one each segment you want to change (tow single clicks: one to select the series,
    the next to select a point and line segment). Press CTRL+1 to bring up the
    formatting dialog, and make your changes. Select the next segment and repeat (or
    press the F4 key to repeat).

    Choice 2 uses 2 series, with data as shown:

    Actual Projected
    2000 100
    2001 150
    2002 200
    2003 250
    2004 300
    2005 350 350
    2006 425
    2007 500

    All blank cells here must be blank, including the top left cell. Make your line
    chart with this set of data, and format the two series differently.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services