combination chart (different graph types)

  1. #1
    Piet L.
    Guest

    combination chart (different graph types)

    Hey,

    I have a line graph,
    now I want to extend this with a high/low/.. graph type.
    But I'm not able to do this

    I need this because I want to add a 95% realibilty interval.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: combination chart (different graph types)

    Hi Piet -

    You can add the high and low series (or 5%-95%) to your line chart, format these new
    series to be invisible (no markers or connecting lines), then format any series, and
    on the Options tab, select High-Low Lines. Excel draws a high-low line from the
    highest value to the lowest value among all the points at a given X category
    (regardless of which series happens to be highest or lowest).

    This only works if the high and low series are line type series. If you've got a
    scatter chart, you can get the same effect with error bars. Suppose your X and Y
    data are in columns A and B. In C put the error bar lengths for positive Y error
    bars (high minus column B's value) and in D put the negative Y error bar lengths
    (column B minus low). Format the series, and on the Y error bars tab, click in the
    Custom + box and with your mouse select the range in column C, then click in the
    Custom - box, and select the range in column D.

    You can use this error bar approach for Line chart series as well; for a scatter
    chart series, you also have the ability to add X error bars.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services