Editing a Chart Directly??

  1. #1
    CJ
    Guest

    Editing a Chart Directly??

    I seem to remember in an Excel version of the past that there was a way for
    me to edit a chart directly, not using the Chart Wizard or Options screen...
    I could highlight poritons of the chart and make changes, etc. But I can't
    seem to make that happen now. I have created a basic chart in Excel 2002
    based on some financial data... I simply want to place a legend or have a
    note area to the right of it and have it say whatever I want to. Right now,
    the chart behaves kind of like a picture embedded in that i can't change
    individual aspects of it without that stupid chart wizard thing. I know
    editing a chart directly is possible... but I can't for the life of me
    remember how... nor can I find any reference to it in the online help. If
    any of you can tell me how, I would really appreciate it.

    Thanks!
    CJ

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Editing a Chart Directly??

    CJ,

    To create a note area within your chart, click somewhere within your chart
    and just start typing. When complete hit the ENTER key. A textbox with the
    information that you typed will appear inside of the chart. You can then
    position the text box to the area within the chart that you want. You can
    create custom titles, legends, etc. with this method.

    You can edit some parts of a chart directly by either clicking once or twice
    within them. It depends on what you want to edit.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    CJ
    Guest

    RE: Editing a Chart Directly??

    Thanks, John. But when I click inside the shart once, nothing happens... I
    cannot enter text. And when I double-click I get the chart options screen.
    Is there another way? Is there a way, for instance, for me to embed a table
    in a chart?