basic pie chart question

  1. #1
    KayR
    Guest

    basic pie chart question

    It's been a long time since I've used Excel, so this question is really
    basic. I am a teacher; I have a column of rubric scores 1-5; I want a pie
    chart that will show the % of students receiving each score (i.e., 10% score
    level 1, 17% level 2, etc.) Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: basic pie chart question

    Kay,

    Assuming you data starts in cell A1 and looks something like this:

    Level 1 17%
    Level 2 26%
    Level 3 14%
    Level 4 30%
    Level 5 13%

    Put your curser in cell A1. Go to the standard toolbar and click once on
    the Chart Wizard. On Step 1 of the Chart Wizard - under the Standard Types
    Tab choose the "Pie" Chart option. The Chart SubType should also say "Pie".
    Then hit the Next button.

    In Step 2 of the Chart Wizard and assuming your sheet is named "Sheet1", the
    reference in the Data Range should look like this:

    =Sheet1!$A$1:$B$5

    Make sure that the "Series in" option is set to Columns. Hit the Next button.

    In Step 3 of the Chart Wizard you can set up your chart title and chart
    legend. The important thing here is to go to the Data Labels tab and add a
    check mark to the "Label Contains Percentage" option. This option will add
    the percentages to the outside of your pie slices. Hit the Next button again
    and then hit the Finish button to complete the chart.

    Once the chart is complete, you can double-click on the percentages, the
    heading, the legend, and the outside border of the chart to change the font
    and color formatting.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http:www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    KayR
    Guest

    RE: basic pie chart question

    My data is set up like this

    student
    name score
    a 0.5
    b 0.5
    c 1
    d 1.5
    e 1.5
    and so forth.

    I want to set up a pie chart that will show me the percentage of students
    with each score.
    Thanks for the help!

  4. #4
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: basic pie chart question

    Kay,

    Actually the same process will apply with one exception. Instead of using
    the percentages as the source data as I had first noted, set up your data
    just like you have it i.e.

    name score
    a 0.5
    b 0.5
    c 1.0
    d 1.5
    e 1.5

    Then walk through the Chart Wizard process like I had described. Again, be
    sure that in step 3 of the Chart Wizard you go to the Data Labels tab and add
    a check mark to the "Label Contains Percentage" option. Excel will
    automatically calculate the percentages of each value in the pie.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: basic pie chart question

    To summarize the data, you could build a pivot table and pivot chart.
    There are instructions and links for pivot tables on Jon Peltier's site:

    Select a cell in the list
    Choose Data>PivotTable Report
    Click Next, select the list, click Next
    Click Layout
    Drag the Score button to the row area
    Drag another copy of Score to the Data area
    Double-click the button in the data area, and choose to
    summarize by Count
    Click OK, click Finish

    Select a cell in the pivot table, and click the chart wizard button
    To change it to a pie chart, select the chart and choose
    Chart>Chart Type.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List