Format numbers in chart datatable

  1. #1
    MB
    Guest

    Format numbers in chart datatable

    Hi,

    Is there a way to format the numbers displayed in the datatable attached to
    the chart after it is created not by formating the cells that the chart is
    plotted from.

    I have a chart that I populate from arrays thru VBA code. The DataTable for
    the chart shows the values as they are entered in the array. Is there a way
    to have the values in the DataTable shows in the format "0.00%"?? please help!

    I tried to use the FormatPercent function, the NumberFormat function, Format
    function..etc. with no success.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    MB

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Format numbers in chart datatable

    MB,

    Unfortunately you can not change the number formatting in the data table to
    be different from the original source. The numbers in the data data will
    always use the same number format as the source data.

    You might want to consider using worksheet cells as an alternative to the
    data table. An explanation can be found here:

    http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...n_data_tables/

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    scheer333
    Guest

    RE: Format numbers in chart datatable

    John,
    I have created a chart and picked to show the datatable. The underlying
    data in the tables is formatted as currency and when in design mode of the
    report the data being displayed in the datatable is also formatted as
    currency. But when i print preview the numbers displayed in the datatable
    have no format. They simply look like: 123456789. But I need them to be
    displayed as $123,456,789.
    If I include the data labels on the chart, they are displayed as currency
    but I can not figure out how to display the datatable numbers as currency.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Format numbers in chart datatable

    John's suggestion (from his blog) is to use a worksheet range next to or
    below the chart as its data table. This affords much more flexibility in
    formatting and in what you can include and exclude from the table, and
    in what order.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP