How do I add a curve of best fit?

  1. #1
    Kat
    Guest

    How do I add a curve of best fit?

    I want to add a curve of best to a set an x-y scatterplot. The data points
    are roughly logarithmic. The only thing i can seem to do is add a line of
    best fit a moving average line or polynomial line. How do i just get a nice
    best fit curve that shows the trend of data points?

  2. #2
    Click the data points to select them.
    Right click them to get the context menu to popup
    Select Add trendline
    Select polynomial

    The above is with Excel 2003

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I add a curve of best fit?

    Kat -

    Try using Add Trendline from the Chart menu. There is a set of fitted
    curve options, including linear, logarithmic, polynomial, power,
    exponential, and moving average. If you have negative numbers in your
    data, you may not be allowed to select logarithmic, power, or
    exponential fits, depending on where the negative values occur.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services