How to move Y-axis values when X range is -a to +b

  1. #1

    How to move Y-axis values when X range is -a to +b

    In an XY Scatter chart, if X has negative and positive
    values, the Y-axis values are next to the Y-axis, which
    of course is drawn through X = 0.

    I would like the Y-axis values to always be on the left
    side of the chart.

    How can I make that happen?

  2. #2
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: How to move Y-axis values when X range is -a to +b

    joeu2004 -

    For a "manual" solution: Select the X axis. Choose Format Axis | Scale |
    Value (Y) Axis Crosses At.

    For an "always" solution, I think you need VBA.

    - Mike

    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Michael R Middleton wrote:
    > For a "manual" solution: Select the X axis.
    > Choose Format Axis | Scale | Value (Y) Axis Crosses At.

    Thanks. Silly me: I kept selecting the Y axis to format,
    um, a characteristic of the Y axis. Klunk!

    What you suggest works "well enough". My only complaint
    is that it appears that I must select the "crosses at"
    position based on an X-axis value. If the data changes,
    that "crosses at" boundary might change.
    But if that's the best I can, that's life!

    Thanks so much.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to move Y-axis values when X range is -a to +b

    If you always want it to cross at the minimum, enter a number that will
    always be less than the minimum, like -100000000000. Excel won't really
    cross the axis at -100000000000 if the actual minimum on the axis is -150.

    An alternative, keep tha axis crossing where Excel wants to, but double
    click the Y axis, and on the Patterns tab, select Low for axis label
    position, rather than Next to Axis.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5

    Jon Peltier wrote:
    > If you always want it to cross at the minimum, enter a number that

    will
    > always be less than the minimum, like -100000000000. Excel won't

    really
    > cross the axis at -100000000000 if the actual minimum on the axis is

    -150.

    Okay. I was afraid Excel might extend the range.
    I shoulda tried it first.

    > An alternative, keep tha axis crossing where Excel wants to, but

    double
    > click the Y axis, and on the Patterns tab, select Low for axis label
    > position, rather than Next to Axis.

    Perfect! Intuitive. Thanks.