Vert bar chart; want bars only for non-zero Y-values

  1. #1
    L Mehl
    Guest

    Vert bar chart; want bars only for non-zero Y-values

    Hello --

    We have categories and category %'s totalling 100%; selected category %
    values might be 0 in some data sets.

    Example data set:

    Category Category %
    ========= ==========
    Magazines 5
    Newspapers 20
    Radio 0
    TV 30
    Cable 45
    Satellite 0
    ---------
    Total 100

    In this case, we want vertical bars representing the Category %s for
    Magazines, Newspapers, TV, and Cable, with these category names as X-axis
    labels.

    What is the best way to eliminate from the chart the categories having
    Category % values = 0?

    Thanks for any help.

    L Mehl

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Vert bar chart; want bars only for non-zero Y-values

    L Mehl,

    One method would be to apply autofiltering to your data. With your chart
    data source set up like this you have six X-axis labels with four bars:

    Magazines 5
    Newspapers 20
    Radio 0
    TV 30
    Cable 45
    Satellite 0

    To get rid of the two axis labels associated with zero values, go to the
    standard toolbar and hit Data -> Filter - AutoFilter. In the Custom Filter
    Dialog Box choose the option -> show rows where: data is greater than 0. All
    rows with zero values will be filtered out leaving your chart with a source
    that looks like:

    Magazines 5
    Newspapers 20
    TV 30
    Cable 45

    You should now have four X-axis labels with four bars.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Vert bar chart; want bars only for non-zero Y-values

    L Mehl,

    This site describes a dynamic option:

    http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...o_zero_values/

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  4. #4
    L Mehl
    Guest

    Re: Vert bar chart; want bars only for non-zero Y-values

    John --

    Thank you for both methods. I will try the dynamic one first.

    Larry

    "John Mansfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > L Mehl,
    >
    > This site describes a dynamic option:

    http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...ied_to_zero_va