How to make a stacked bar chart using time?

  1. #1
    Father Guido
    Guest

    How to make a stacked bar chart using time?

    Hi,

    I have the following data to plot on a stacked bar chart, and
    displayed as time.

    Dr X Dr Y Dr Z
    02:03 03:00 01:00
    00:20 02:00 00:30
    00:40 01:00 00:30
    02:45 01:00
    00:15
    02:10

    08:13 07:00 02:00

    This is time in hours and minutes.

    I need the result to look like this...

    Dr.X bar [02:03][00:20][00:40][02:45][00:15][02:10]
    Dr.Y bar [03:00][02:00][01:00][01:00]
    Dr.Z bar [01:00][00:30][00:30]

    where [02:03] represents a colour to represent 2 hrs & 3 mins etc.

    If I just select the Dr. X data I can get a stacked chart, but as soon
    as I add either Dr. Y or Dr. Z data the whole chart turns into one
    large bar, not three separate bars. I can of course create three bars
    if I just plot the totals, but I want the individual parts of the
    total (stacked bar) to show separately. What do I need to do to keep
    these three sets of data separate? I'm using Windows XP with Excel XP.

    Thanks in advance!!!

    Norm

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to make a stacked bar chart using time?

    Hi Guido -

    To make this work more easily I inserted a column with dummy labels (a
    through f). The cell above a and to the left of Dr X is blank.

    Dr X Dr Y Dr Z
    a 2:03 3:00 1:00
    b 0:20 2:00 0:30
    c 0:40 1:00 0:30
    d 2:45 1:00
    e 0:15
    f 2:10

    Select the range and make a stacked bar chart, with the series in rows.
    The doctors are linked by the series (series "a" has a value for each,
    for example).

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Father Guido
    Guest

    Re: How to make a stacked bar chart using time?

    Thanks John, that works beautifully!!!

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:56:33 -0500, Jon Peltier
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    ~Hi Guido -
    ~
    ~-------