area under a curve in Excel

  1. #1
    ionman
    Guest

    area under a curve in Excel

    how do I calculate the area under a graph that I have plotted using excel?

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: area under a curve in Excel

    Ionman,

    As an example, assume you set up an XY chart with these data points. The
    title "X" is in cell A1 and the entire range covers A1:C11. The points in
    column X are hardcoded:

    X Y Areas
    0 0.000 12.856
    40 0.643 32.552
    80 0.985 37.017
    120 0.866 24.161
    160 0.342 6.840
    200 -0.342 24.161
    240 -0.866 37.017
    280 -0.985 32.552
    320 -0.643 12.856
    360 0.000

    The formula in cell B2 is:

    =SIN(RADIANS(A2))

    Copy this formula down column C until you hit cell B11.

    To calculate the area, add this formula to cell C2:

    =IF(B2*B3>=0,ABS(((B2+B3)/2)*(A3-A2)),ABS(((B2^2+B3^2)/(B2-B3)/2)*(A3-A2)))

    Copy the formula down the range of cell C2 to cell C10. Total the results
    in range C2:C10 to calculate the total area.

    This formula is not truly accurate as shown above. Generally, the more data
    points that you add the better the more accurate the results.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com