X-axis in months?

  1. #1
    Peter
    Guest

    X-axis in months?

    How do I get the x-axis on a graph to display the text Jan-Dec rather than
    the numbers 1-12?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: X-axis in months?

    Hi Peter,

    Create you xy scatter chart. Use the source data dialog to add another
    data series. The data series requires 12 values.
    Select the new series and move to the secondary axis. Now change its
    chart type to column. Use the source data dialog again to specify the
    category label range. Remove the tick labels from the main x axis.
    Use Chart options to display the secondary x axis. You should now have
    the month names at the top of the chart.
    Double click secondary xaxis and check on the scale tab, Value (Y) axis
    crosses between categories. Double click secondary yaxis and on the
    scale tab uncheck Category(X) axis crosses at maximum value.
    You can now delete the secondary yaxis. Format the columns to have no
    border and fill.

    Or you could use a dummy data series to create you own xaxis labels.
    See Jon's examples of arbitrary axis scales to get an idea.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html#ArbAxis

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3

    Re: X-axis in months?

    If you put the months in your spreadsheet as dates e.g. 1/1/05, 1/2/05,
    1/3/05, etc and format them using custom format as mmm then they will
    display as Jan, Feb, etc but the underlying data will be numeric. You
    can now create an XY scatter graph and format the x-axis using the
    Custom number format and mmm. You will have to fiddle around with the
    scale section to get the display to start at Jan and end at Dec e.g.
    enter 38353 to start at Jan 2005 and 38718 to end at Dec 05, and set
    the major and minor tick marks to be 30 apart so you get a label for
    every month.

    Andrea Jones
    www.stratatraining.co.uk

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: X-axis in months?

    Andrea -

    FYI, on the Scale tab of the Format Axis dialog, you can simply enter
    the value you want in Date format (Time format works too), and Excel
    will convert it for you. If you enter 1/1/2005, Excel will convert it to
    38353.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP