watch a curve change over time like a movie

  1. #1
    RandyBarrett
    Guest

    watch a curve change over time like a movie

    I would like to be able to view my data set such that I can view the curve
    change over time instead of viewing for example 10 curves on one graph. I
    would like to be able to select the speed at which the curve is refreshed
    (new data set), and the direction (so I can run the curve forward and
    backward in time).

    In essence, I have monthly data that represents one curve. I would like to
    visually watch the curve change month by month instead of plotting one curve
    for each month, I see one graph with the curve in motion over my data set
    (time).

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: watch a curve change over time like a movie

    Randy -

    You set this up with defined names, such that the Y values is defined
    based on an integer value in another cell. Something like

    Name: YValues
    RefersTo:
    =Offset(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$12,0,Sheet1!$E$1)

    As the value in E1 increases, the range defined by the Offset is further
    and further to the right. Your chart is based on these YValues.

    Then you have a macro that moves forwards or backwards through the data
    by changing the value in E1 by a certain amount after a given delay.
    Shorter delays mean the curve changes more quickly.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: watch a curve change over time like a movie

    For a solution that uses iteration (it has its own pros and cons) visit
    the Excel Tips section (http://www.tushar-
    mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html) and scroll down to 'Iteration to
    animate a chart'

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  4. #4
    RandyBarrett
    Guest

    Re: watch a curve change over time like a movie

    Thank you for your quick resonse, here is what I did:

    YValue is the defined name for the offset as you suggested.
    I created a graph and typed "YValue" into the Data Range
    I entered an integer into the referenced cell in the offset formula.
    It worked great ... but

    I figured that I should be able to enter a new integer into the referenced
    cell and the graph would automatically change the curve ... it did not.

    I went into Chart, Source Data, and the Data Range was the actual range
    calculated by the last integer offset (Data!$D$1:$M$1) and NOT the name
    "YValue" that I originally entered.

    It seems that if "YValue" would remain the Source Data, then I could simply
    enter a new integer and it would automatically update the chart. Then I
    could create the macro as you have suggested.

    What am I doing wrong?

  5. #5
    RandyBarrett
    Guest

    Re: watch a curve change over time like a movie

    Thank you for the reply. Jon's suggestion worked for my application but I
    enjoyed your article and may use it in the future.
    Randy

  6. #6
    RandyBarrett
    Guest

    Re: watch a curve change over time like a movie

    Jon,
    After playing with the code it works beautifully!! Excellent suggestion and
    I thank you very much. Now I just need a good book on programming macros
    (I'm an old Fortran 77 guy). Thanks again.
    Randy

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: watch a curve change over time like a movie

    Randy -

    Here are the books I use. Spend a half hour in a book store, and see
    which one(s) you like:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/xlbooks.html

    - Jon
    -------