Scatter chart parabola

  1. #1

    Scatter chart parabola

    I am attempting to use Excel for my BA class. I have a quadratic function which gives me a parabola. However, when I try to graph it in excel instead of the parabola opening up or down it opens sideways. The points are correct, the connecting lines are what is not correct. How can I fix this so that the parabola will go through the points the correct way and open downward instead of sideways?

    my points are as follows
    x y
    9 387
    0 144
    -6 0
    24 0

    Thanks, Chester

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Scatter chart parabola

    Chester,

    Rearrange your points on your XY scatter chart as follows:

    x y
    -6 0
    0 144
    9 387
    24 0

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Thank you for the help. I thought that Excel would be able to determine which way the parabola would go according to my formula.

    Chester

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Scatter chart parabola

    Chester -

    Excel is not capable of doing what you want it to do, only what you tell
    it to do. The points are plotted in the order they appear in the table.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services