create range bar graph

  1. #1

    Question create range bar graph

    I need to create a range bar graph in excel. Basically given an end point for each corresponding value on the y-axis it'll plot a horizontal bar up to that endpoint. The next horizontal bar will continue for where the prev. ended.

    Similar to this:
    http://www.ncsu.edu/labwrite/res/gh/....html#rangebar

    How would I do it?
    Many Thanks!

    Example Data:

    Task1 --> Range 0-30
    Task2 --> Range 31-46
    Task3 --> Range 46-48
    Task4 --> Range 48-60
    Task5 --> Range 61-70

  2. #2

    nvm found it!

    I found the solution - searched for "floating bar graph" on google thanks!

  3. #3

    Unhappy another ? - Same Task Name - floating bar graph

    I've got a simple floating bar graph example working now but I can't figure out how to display a horizontal bar multiple times for each task. For example:

    Currently it does this:
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    T1 ---------
    T2 ------
    T3 -------
    T1 --------------

    But I want it to look like this:
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    T1 --------- --------------
    T2 ------
    T3 -------

    Sample Data:

    Start End
    T1 0 3
    T1 9 13
    T2 4 6
    T3 6 9

    Please help!
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: create range bar graph

    These are called floating bar or column charts. You need two series, one
    for the value from the axis up to the bottom of the column, and the
    other for the height of the column (top minus bottom). Create a stacked
    chart, and format the bottom column with no fill and no lines, so it's
    not seen in the chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP