histogram or pie chart or?

  1. #1
    Kev
    Guest

    histogram or pie chart or?

    Greetings from the UK...

    I have a list of around 1000 numbers, all integers whose values can range
    from 1 through to 4000. Most of these numbers repeat themselves in the
    list .
    What I want to do is produce a chart showing the number of times each
    descrete number appears , its value and the percentage of times it appears
    in the list .
    I think ( dangerous for me !) I should be looking at a histogram or a even a
    pie chart but so far my attempts (using the data analysis and chart
    wizards) are not what I want.

    As an example a list of 12 numbers could be 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 2, 4,
    2, 4,3 and what I want to get to is a chart showing that:
    "2" appeared 6 times in the list equating to 50% of the 12 entries,
    "4" appeared 4 times in the list equating to 33.3% of the12 entries,
    "3 " appeared 2 times in the list equating to 16.6% of the 12 entries

    value anyones help.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: histogram or pie chart or?

    I agree that you probably want a histogram. I have a page that explains
    a few ways to make a histogram:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Kev
    Guest

    Re: histogram or pie chart or?

    hmmm?
    Its the BIN range thats got me confused...

    My example of the 12 numbers 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 2, 4, 2, 4,3 appears
    in cell ranges B1:B12

    A B C
    1 2
    2 3
    3 2
    4 4
    5 2
    6 4
    7 2
    8 2
    9 4
    10 2
    11 4
    12 3

    I then use the data analysis tool and select the INPUT range , as
    $BS1:$B$12, .
    Now I want the x axis (the Bins) on the histogram to show 3 columns, namely
    2, 3, and 4 . So I put into the BIN range "2.0,3.0,4.0" but excel returns
    an error with the formula message??

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: histogram or pie chart or?

    Put the bin values (i.e., 2, 3, and 4) in 3 adjacent cells in a column.
    Then, specify that range as the 'bin range'.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>, "Kev" <ooooooooo>
    says...

  5. #5
    Kev
    Guest