Bubble Concept, Bars Instead

  1. #1
    OLLIE
    Guest

    Bubble Concept, Bars Instead

    Is there a way of charting in a way very similar to a
    bubble, but rather than the bubble changing size, a bar or
    a post does (taller for larger)?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Bubble Concept, Bars Instead

    Jon Peltier has instructions for variable width charts:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/VarWidthColumn.html

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Re: Bubble Concept, Bars Instead

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    OLLIE <[email protected]> said:

    >Is there a way of charting in a way very similar to a
    >bubble, but rather than the bubble changing size, a bar or
    >a post does (taller for larger)?

    You can replace the bubble with a graphic, in your case a rectangle, and
    the size of the rectangle can be proportional either in width & height
    or in area to the value being displayed. But I don't know how to make
    the graphic have a constant width and variable height.

    Alternatively, as Debbie says, you can design one of Jon Peltier's
    variable-width charts with stacked bars, and make the lower bar
    invisible, leaving the upper bar floating in air; like a Gantt chart,
    but vertical. I wouldn't be surprised if you could contrive to have
    clusters of N bars hanging in air like that, each cluster representing N
    dimensions!

    Does anybody know where I might find pie-bubble charts, with each
    "bubble" being a pie chart?

    --
    Del Cotter
    Thanks to the recent increase in UBE, I will soon be ignoring email

  4. #4
    OLLIE
    Guest

    Re: Bubble Concept, Bars Instead

    Thanks for the reply... I think I need to be more
    specific:

    I have a XY Scatter that I would like to use as a Bubble
    Chart to show a third quality (e.g bubble size = Sales
    Growth). The problem is two fold:

    1. Too many bubbles
    2. The number can be negative

    My thinking is I could replace the bubble with a bar whose
    length varies accordingly. It would almost be 3D in that
    for negative numbers, it could grow, but downward...

    Hope this isn't just more confusion... Thanks

  5. #5
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Re: Bubble Concept, Bars Instead

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    OLLIE <[email protected]> said:

    >I have a XY Scatter that I would like to use as a Bubble
    >Chart to show a third quality (e.g bubble size = Sales
    >Growth). The problem is two fold:
    >
    >1. Too many bubbles
    >2. The number can be negative

    What if you made the bubbles smaller, and arranged somehow for negative
    numbers to be represented by bubbles of a different colour?

    Or, have you considered using the "error bars" facility to mimic the
    effect you want? Bubble charts can do it too, giving each data point
    theoretically seven degrees of freedom (X, Y, bubble size, x-error plus
    and minus, y-error plus and minus) There's a limit to how thick I can
    make the error bars in Excel 2000, but they certainly provide
    information at a glance.

    (I played around with 3D bar charts in Excel 95, but they don't really
    do what you want. If only they had 3D scatter column graphs: z-height
    columns scattered on an x-y base)

  6. #6
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Bubble Concept, Bars Instead

    Another option to consider is to change the size of each marker, which
    can be between 2 and 72. Of course, there is no native way to vary the
    size based on a cell value. To do this by hand you will have to go
    marker-by-marker. Alternatively, you will need a VBA macro. A
    skeletal example is below. It sets the marker size of the first series
    of the first chart embedded in the active sheet to the contents of
    column H starting with H1. In addition to all that information being
    hard coded, it also has zero error handling.

    Sub Macro1()
    Dim aCell As Range, i As Integer
    i = 1
    With ActiveSheet
    For Each aCell In Range(.Range("H1"), .Range("h1").End(xlDown))
    .ChartObjects(1).Chart.SeriesCollection(1).Points(i) _
    .MarkerSize = aCell.Value
    i = i + 1
    Next aCell
    End With