graph totals

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    graph totals

    How do I display totals within the graph data table without those figures
    showing up in the graph

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: graph totals

    The data table won't display totals. However, you could show the totals
    with the X axis label:

    In the data source table, insert a row between the X Axis labels, and
    the first row of data.
    In the cell below the first label, enter a formula that refers to the
    cell with the label, and the cell with the total, e.g.:

    =B1 & CHAR(10) & B8

    Copy this formula across to the last column of data.

    Select the chart
    Choose Chart>Source Data
    On the Series tab, for Category (X) axis labels, select the cells that
    contain the above formula
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: graph totals

    Well, a series can be added plotting the totals. Then the series can be
    formatted to be hidden (no lines, no markers, no border or fill or
    whatever. The numbers will still appear in the data table.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: graph totals

    True, and with your technique you'd probably want to reset the maximum
    for the y-axis too.

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: graph totals

    That depends. If the main chart is stacked column, I'd make the total
    series a line series before I hid it. If they're all lines then the Y
    max would be overstated by the totals (unless the hidden series were
    also plotted on the secondary axis, and this axis were hidden).

    - Jon
    -------

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: graph totals

    Or, Mike could try one of your usual suggestions, and avoid the built-in
    data table:

    For an embedded chart:

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?&thre...TNGP14.phx.gbl

    for a chart sheet:

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?&thre...tngp13.phx.gbl

  7. #7
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: graph totals

    If you avoid the default data table, you can simulate a much better
    effect. See Custom Chart Table
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...able/index.htm

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com