Too many data points

  1. #1
    Cowtoon
    Guest

    Too many data points

    I have data that's collected every two minutes, 24 hours a day and only want
    to chart the data for every hour (on the hour). How do I extract that
    information, so that my generated chart doesn't look a huge blob of ink.
    There must be a formula that can extra the info (say ... if the minutes =
    00), that places it in another worksheet where I can generate a
    less-cluttered chart from those data.

    Thanks for any assistance.
    Diana

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Too many data points

    Let's say x-values in A2:A2000, y-values in B2:B2000 with headers in row 1
    To plot every 20th row:
    In C2 enter =IF(mod(ROW(),20)=0,B2,NA())
    Copy down to C2000
    Select A1:A2000; hold CTRL; select C1:C2000; make chart
    The N/A data is ignored
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    coj
    Guest

    Re: Too many data points

    Cowtoon wrote:
    > I have data that's collected every two minutes, 24 hours a day and only want
    > to chart the data for every hour (on the hour). How do I extract that
    > information, so that my generated chart doesn't look a huge blob of ink.
    > There must be a formula that can extra the info (say ... if the minutes =
    > 00), that places it in another worksheet where I can generate a
    > less-cluttered chart from those data.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    > Diana

    Why not leave the data where it is and use a Data Filter Autofilter to
    show only the data you want to see ? Excel graphs only show visible rows
    (and columns) of data.

    You can use Data Filter Showall to get back all the data as visible
    again when you need.

  4. #4
    Cowtoon
    Guest

    Re: Too many data points

    Bernard ... you've taken me closer - thanks for that. I wonder if I can
    explain what's happening now.
    I just realized a problem. My x values are in say A5:A2000 and then my y
    values are in B5:B2000 as well C5:B2000 (temperature and rel. humidity from a
    data collector). It's not a scientific experiment ... just readings for room
    temps and humidity.

    So ... instead of a relationship between rows and column values, all of the
    data is in columns. Is there a way to rotate, say the time data to appear in
    a row. There's more than 256 readings ... not sure if Excel can take it.
    I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Diana

  5. #5
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Too many data points

    Why rotate anything? Bernard's solution should work just fine. Enter
    it in D5 rather than B2.

    So, if A contains the time, in D5, enter =IF(MINUTE(A5)=0,A5,NA())
    In E5 enter the formula =IF(ISNA($D5),NA(),B5).

    Copy E5 to F5. Copy D5:F5 as far down as you have data. Plot D5:F
    {whatever}

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  6. #6
    Cowtoon
    Guest

    Re: Too many data points

    Tushar, I must be doing something very wrong then.
    His formula works for the data points ... rather perfectly. I haven't tried
    your suggestion yet, but I'll mention here, that the chart isn't picking up
    the (date/time) in the A column, even though I've selected it for generating
    the chart.

    The x axis (across the bottom) has whole numbers that closely match the row
    numbers (but not exactly). It makes no sense to me. Meanwhile, I'll take a
    look at what you wrote. Thanks for the response. Appreciated.
    Diana

  7. #7
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Too many data points

    Diana, you may also want to look at
    Select Markers
    http://www.tushar-
    mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/only_some_markers/index.html

  8. #8
    Cowtoon
    Guest

    Re: Too many data points

    To Tushar and Bernard:
    I got it to work!
    Tushar I kind of took what you said and modified it a bit.
    I moved my formulas that Bernard gave me and put them to the immediate right
    of the date/time info. I then modified the cell reference and filled
    downwards. I regenerated the chart and voila! ... it's exactly what I want.
    Perhaps separating the from the time/date info was causing the relationship
    to be lost ... but I'm not sure.
    Thank you both so much.
    Diana

  9. #9
    Cowtoon
    Guest

    Re: Too many data points

    Coj. I was able to solve the problem before I got a chance to try your
    solution, but thanks anyway.
    Diana

  10. #10
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Too many data points

    Hi Diana,

    Glad you got that sorted out. And, thanks for letting folks know.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > To Tushar and Bernard:
    > I got it to work!
    > Tushar I kind of took what you said and modified it a bit.
    > I moved my formulas that Bernard gave me and put them to the immediate right
    > of the date/time info. I then modified the cell reference and filled
    > downwards. I regenerated the chart and voila! ... it's exactly what I want.
    > Perhaps separating the from the time/date info was causing the relationship
    > to be lost ... but I'm not sure.
    > Thank you both so much.
    > Diana

    {snip}