Plotting moving average line on a chart

  1. #1
    Herbert Chan
    Guest

    Plotting moving average line on a chart

    Hello,

    I've a weekly chart that shows the weekly candlestick chart for the fund
    prices and a 39-week moving average line.

    Now, I have so much data that I only want to plot around 2 years' data on
    the chart. If I select this range only and let Excel create the moving
    average line, the moving average line will only start at 39 weeks into this
    2-year period. However, I want this line to start from the start of this
    2-year period.

    Any way to do this?

    Thanks.

    Herbert

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Plotting moving average line on a chart

    Herbert,

    One option is to eliminate the chart generated 39-week moving average line.
    Next, add another row or column to your worksheet that contains the
    calculation of the 2-year moving average. Finally, add the row or column
    that contains the 2-year moving average as an additional series to the chart.

    For example, if your data is contained in the range A1:A5, add a formula to
    create the moving average to cell B3 like "=AVERAGE(A1:A3)". Copy the
    formula from cell B3 down the column to cell B5. Then chart the data in the
    range A1:B5.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield