overcoming zero values in line graph

  1. #1
    marika1981
    Guest

    overcoming zero values in line graph

    I have a 12-month line graph where some of the earliest and most recent data
    is still zero.

    Is there a way to have Excel not plot zero values - to avoid the big rises
    and drop offs they cause - and, rather, just have the graph start and end
    wherever there is positive data?

    (NOTE: for multiple reasons, I can't erase the formulae in the cells
    yielding the zero values, or have them display the N/A message....)

    Thanks!!!

    Marika

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: overcoming zero values in line graph

    There is no reason why you cannot have a 2nd data set that has the N/A
    values. Plot this second set and use the first for whatever you are
    using it for.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    John Harris
    Guest

    Re: overcoming zero values in line graph

    From the data set you can use the IF command to make it read NA when the
    response is zero. If you are inputting the numbers, you can also do a page
    format for anything less than or equal to 0 is "NA" and that should leave it
    unplotted.

    =IF(A1=0, "NA", A1/A2) or something to that extent

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: overcoming zero values in line graph

    Debra Dalgleish shows how to hide those errors with conditional formatting:

    http://contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#Errors

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP