PivotChart Data Field - can it be value?

  1. #1
    pajordan
    Guest

    PivotChart Data Field - can it be value?

    I have a data set of nodes that generated error codes at different times. I
    want to plot the data with a separate series for each error code, with time
    on the x-axis and node on the y-axis. I want to use a PivotChart so I can
    select to show only certain error codes or nodes of interest. I am having
    trouble setting up the PivotChart (Excel2000). I can't do it as a scatter
    plot (not allowed for PivotCharts), so I chose Line with Markers. The
    problem is the data field - the available options are like Sum, Count,
    Average, etc. but I want it to be Value, as in the value of the node.
    (Better to see a picture of it:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y17/pa...d_question.jpg
    hope that works)
    Am I going about this the wrong way? Any advice? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: PivotChart Data Field - can it be value?

    Even though the data is in a pivot table, you can still make a real chart out of it.
    Start by selecting a blank cell away from the pivot table, choose XY Scatter in the
    first step, and use the Series tab to add the series one at a time. It's not too
    tedious. Unfortunately it doesn't automatically update when the PT updates, which is
    why Bill Gates invented VBA.

    To show each value, not the sum/average, add a dummy column with different values. I
    uses =ROW() in this table, and =RAND() for the values:

    Var A Var 1 Value Dummy
    A 1 0.792251876 2
    A 1 0.917002952 3
    A 2 0.097322931 4