How do I eliminate non-used dates (weekends) from a chart?

  1. #1
    nanoking
    Guest

    How do I eliminate non-used dates (weekends) from a chart?

    My data uses only week day dates. The chart that results from it is adding
    weekend dates even though they don't appear in the range for the X axis. It
    leaves gaps in the chart as a result.

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: How do I eliminate non-used dates (weekends) from a chart?

    Nanoking,

    One option is to reference your X-axis series with a formula that converts
    the date to text but still leaves the "text" date looking like a date. For
    example, assuming the data below starts in cell A1, convert column A to text
    by using this formula:

    =TEXT(A2,"mm/dd/yy")

    col A col B col C
    Orig. Date Text Date Data
    01/01/04 01/01/04 5
    01/02/04 01/02/04 4
    01/03/04 01/03/04 5

    In the formula view, column B looks like

    =TEXT(A2,"mm/dd/yy")
    =TEXT(A3,"mm/dd/yy")
    =TEXT(A4,"mm/dd/yy")

    Change your X-axis reference from column A to column B. The chart will read
    the X-axis dates as text and will not leave gaps.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    nanoking
    Guest

    RE: How do I eliminate non-used dates (weekends) from a chart?

    Thanks, John. That's what I'm doing. I was hoping for a more elegant fix.
    I had hoped there was a formatting element I was overlooking in either the
    chart or the data. As it is, I still want to have the date form and so use
    two columns; one formatted for text.

    I appreciate your response. Perhaps in the next edition MS will recognize a
    need for the creation of a workday calendar. Something like MS Project would
    be nice with a basic setting that eliminates weekends. That way you could
    also fill a column and not have weekend dates included.

    Cheers!

    JDL

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I eliminate non-used dates (weekends) from a chart?

    Probably it's quicker to go to Chart Options on the Chart menu, click on
    the Axes tab, and change from the Time Scale (or Automatic) option to
    Category under the Category X Axis.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP