re-arranging sets of data for plotting

  1. #1
    Moe B.
    Guest

    re-arranging sets of data for plotting

    I have data presented in groups of 12, eg. if i have 36 data points, they are
    currently in 3 rows, each roll containing 12 points. I want to plot a graph
    of all 36 points. How can i tell excel that after grabbing the 12 cells in 1
    row, it should automatically go to the next roll to capture the next 12 and
    then the 3rd row for the last set of data? I know i can copy and manually
    rearrange the data all onto one row so Excel can read properly. However, i
    have over 200 sets of these data (each with 36 data points).

    Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: re-arranging sets of data for plotting

    Moe -

    I don't know if this is going to be any faster in the long run, but here's how to
    get three rows into the same series. Make your chart with the first row. Copy the
    second row, select the chart, then choose Paste Special from the Edit menu, and
    choose to add the data as new points. They will be appended to the existing series.
    Copy the third row, select the chart, paste special as new points again. Voila!

    Do this 200 times, and it's going to be less voila. Is the data all on the same
    sheet? If each data set has its own sheet, you could make one chart, make a copy of
    the sheet it's on, then paste another set of data over the data on the copied sheet.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services