Stacked column and column combo chart

  1. #1
    KG
    Guest

    Stacked column and column combo chart

    I have the following data set:

    2001 2002
    Sales Product A 45 55
    Sales Product B 102 123
    Sales Product C 66 78
    Total Gross Margin 60 77

    I want the sales to be in stacked columns and the gross margin a separate
    column next to them, as it represents total gross margin for all three
    products; 2001 and 2002 are the X category labels.
    I can easily show the gross margin series as a line or area but when I
    attempt to show it as a column, the entire chart is converted to clustered
    columns. Is there a work-around?

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Stacked column and column combo chart

    KG,

    Seems to me Stephen Bullen has an example of that at
    http://www.bmsltd.ie/Excel/Default.htm. It's in one of the "Charting
    examples" downloads.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Stacked column and column combo chart

    If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns.

    Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site:
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...ps/Columns.htm

    and Jon Peltier has links to other sites with information:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...sterStack.html

    KG wrote:
    > I have the following data set:
    >
    > 2001 2002
    > Sales Product A 45 55
    > Sales Product B 102 123
    > Sales Product C 66 78
    > Total Gross Margin 60 77
    >
    > I want the sales to be in stacked columns and the gross margin a separate
    > column next to them, as it represents total gross margin for all three
    > products; 2001 and 2002 are the X category labels.
    > I can easily show the gross margin series as a line or area but when I
    > attempt to show it as a column, the entire chart is converted to clustered
    > columns. Is there a work-around?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  4. #4
    KG
    Guest

    RE: Stacked column and column combo chart

    Thanks for the links; by and large, they are using overlaying of the charts
    as the fundamental technique. If there is no other way to create my chart, I
    will resort to overlaying!

    Debra, I did try to create the chart by staggering the data but I was unable
    to come up with a category labeling scheme that the reader could understand.
    You see, I need (a) the stack components to be identified as Product A, B.
    and C, (b) the unstacked column next to it labeled 'Total Gross Margin" and
    (c) the years 2001 and 2002 to be the X category labels, applying to both the
    stacked and unstacked column next to it. If you honestly feel that overlaying
    is the only option, please let me know and I'll stop looking for an
    alternative.

    Thanks for your help Debra and Earl.

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Stacked column and column combo chart

    The techniques do not rely on overlaying separate charts, because they plot all the
    data in one chart.

    But a gross margin is a different kind of data than what you probably are plotting
    for the different products. So why not use a different style? Plot all four series
    in a stacked column chart, then select the gross margin series, go to the Chart
    menu, choose Chart Type, and change this series to a line chart. If you need to, you
    can plot this series on a secondary axis: double click on it, and on the Axis tab
    select the Secondary Axis option.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  6. #6
    KG
    Guest

    Re: Stacked column and column combo chart

    A combination stacked column+line chart is my current design. I just thought
    that it would look neat to have the gross margin as a column next to the
    stacked column showing sales with its component parts. If I still feel
    strongly abou it, I'll apply the techniques that were pointed to me. Thanks
    again!