Create a Chart with Values from Array AND NOT from Ranges

  1. #1
    syrhus
    Guest

    Create a Chart with Values from Array AND NOT from Ranges

    I'm trying to manage data's graph from an array but when I try following case

    |__________________________
    |France | Italy | France | Italie |
    | 2003 | 2004 |

    I don't succeeded to generate the appropriate array.
    Does anyone know how to do that WITHOUT ranges?

    Thx

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Create a Chart with Values from Array AND NOT from Ranges

    Poser of the day. I spent a half hour trying to insert an array into the
    chart series' XValues property, and it wouldn't go.

    If you construct a chart using a range to produce this category axis
    pattern, then use the F9 key to change the XValues, your category axis
    labels are put into this array:

    ={"2004","France","0","Italy","2005","France","0","Italy"}

    which is just one dimensional, and shouldn't work. And it doesn't if you
    enter just that into the XValues.

    Building 2-D arrays and saying .XValues = MyArray didn't work for any
    array I could come up with.

    All kinds of text representations of two-dimensional arrays which should
    produce the proper array in the worksheet don't work in the chart. Here
    are a few examples:

    ={"France","2004";"Italy","";"France","2005";"Italy",""}
    ={"2004","","2005","";"France","Italy","France","Italy"}

    Even the usual trick of making the chart with a range and using

    .XValues = .XValues

    fell down.

    Probably someone will come along in five minutes with a simple solution,
    but I'll go out on a limb here and say, you're out of luck.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    syrhus
    Guest

    Re: Create a Chart with Values from Array AND NOT from Ranges

    Thanks Jon for the precious time you spent for my case!
    In fact, I found effectivly than when I press F9 on the SERIES function in
    the formula bar, Excel convert it into an array. The array is not exactly as
    you wrote:
    "France
    2003"\"Italy"\"France
    2004"\"Italy"

    I found that Excel insert the chr$(10) between France and 2003 to generate a
    2-D array.
    So I succeed to generate the same array with :
    ..XValues = Array("France" & chr$(10) & "2003", "Italy", "France" & chr$(10)
    & "2004","Italy")

    BUT, of course there is a BUT, on the excel graph on wich I convert the
    range into array, when I unckeck the Chart Options/Axes/Category (x) Axis and
    ckeck again, the graph lost the representation of the 2 dimensions
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, it means (to my mind) that Excel graph doesn't support 2-D array :o(

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Create a Chart with Values from Array AND NOT from Ranges

    Good eyes, I hadn't noticed the chr(10). But unfortunately it didn't
    really help, did it?

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Create a Chart with Values from Array AND NOT from Ranges

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > So, it means (to my mind) that Excel graph doesn't support 2-D array :o(

    Well, it does and it doesn't. {g} Over time MS has done a lot to keep
    XL going. Some (many?) things violate XL's own rules. The charting
    module is notorious for its own idiosyncrasies. No reason for this to
    be any different, eh? ;-)

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Create a Chart with Values from Array AND NOT from Ranges

    I've resisted the urge up until now, but I'll say it anyway:

    The charting module isn't as smart as a worksheet. Especially with arrays and
    defined names.

    - Jon
    -------