Can Excel calculate area for 3-D surface charts?

  1. #1
    RAH
    Guest

    Can Excel calculate area for 3-D surface charts?

    I have plotted data values (z axis) based on cartesion coordinate location (x
    axis and y axis) as a 3D surface chart and then changed the elevation to 90
    degrees to get a topographical/isobar representation of the data. Is it
    possible to get the area contained within the isobar lines? If Excel can't
    do this is there an add-in or another product that can do this?

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Can Excel calculate area for 3-D surface charts?

    Dunno if this will help, but see Bernard Liengme's
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...UnderCurve.htm and
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...olygonArea.htm

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Can Excel calculate area for 3-D surface charts?

    I doubt it. I think he's looking for the plan view area of each region, i.e., each
    colored band between defined limits.

    I remember the good old days, pre-Excel. We had a fancy device called a planimeter
    to measure these areas. A less elaborate procedure consisted of cutting out the
    areas and weighing them, dividing by the total weight, and multiplying by the total
    area.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP