Publishing a chart to a web page

  1. #1
    Stevie
    Guest

    Publishing a chart to a web page

    Hi all,

    I'm having a problem when I want to publish an Excel chart to Web
    page. I browsed through the Microsoft Knowledge Base, and found the
    article describing the Post SP3 hotfix that sghould be deployed in
    order to prevent this problem from reoccurring. I'm not really keen on
    applying SP3 (currently i'm using Office 2000 SP2) and the hotfix
    after.

    I'm not sure this is the right newsgroup to post it to but what I'm
    looking for is a possible workaround, not applying SP3 nor the hotfix
    Microsoft is referring to. I wonder if there is another program
    perhpas that does quite the same as Microsoft Excel, but hasn't got
    the same problems with publishing charts to the web.

    Thanks in advance for your quick replies.

    Stevie.

  2. #2
    Stevie
    Guest

    Re: Publishing a chart to a web page

    Hi all,

    I may have asked sth odd or I need to redirect. Could anybody give me
    a clue as to where I should be looking when I look for a workaround
    for the problem I described earlier.

    Some additional information may very well be required:

    Operating system : Windows XP.
    Office version: Office 2000 SP2.

    The page I wanna publish to has been created by myself. I created it
    under Windows NT. It worked just fine then with Office 2000. It's a
    page of the company Intranet, so even if I would want to get SP3, they
    won't install me this (I'm no longer admin of my workstation right
    now). That's why I'm looking for another program maybe or a workaround
    within MS Excel.

    Thanks for your quick replies.

    Stevie.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Publishing a chart to a web page

    What's the problem with publishing of the chart?

    Are you able to use VBA? if so, check out the Chart.Export method, which
    saves a chart as an image file.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Stevie
    Guest

    Re: Publishing a chart to a web page

    Hi Jon,

    I'm able to use VBA, but I'm not very experienced in using it. If you
    try and explain it to me, it'll have to be clearer than just telling
    me to use this Chart.Export method.

    In fact what I need is this :

    I have been publishing charts for years now. It's all been ok under
    Windows NT, using Office 2000. I make updates on a daily basis of
    these charts on an Intranet website. I'm experiencing the problem
    explained in the KB linked right below :

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819132

    Since it isn't possible to implement SP3 on short term, what I need is
    a workaround by an excel add-in or another program ... until Office
    2003 will be implemented.

    If the problem could be dealt with using VBA, that's ok with me as
    well of course...

    Thanks a lot,
    Stevie.

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Publishing a chart to a web page

    Stevie -

    The syntax is quite easy:

    oChart.Export "C:\My Path\image.gif", "GIF"

    where oChart is the chart being exported. You can choose from GIF, JPG,
    PNG, and maybe a few other formats, but I'd urge you not to use JPG,
    because it wasn't designed for this kind of art work.

    In your program, you need to identify each chart being exported, plus
    the path and file name. If you provide a duplicate file name, the Export
    method happily overwrites the existing chart, without any warning.

    - Jon
    -------

  6. #6
    Stevie
    Guest

    Re: Publishing a chart to a web page

    Hi Jon,

    Thanks a lot allready.
    I'd want to ask you one last question:

    This code will work also on the charts that have been pusblished
    beforehand allready. All I need to do is updtae the data with freshly
    acquired data.
    I suppose it will work fine without Office 2000, Service Pack 3 and
    the hotfix Microsoft mentions.

    Regards,

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Publishing a chart to a web page

    Stevie -

    This code works as is for any version of Excel since '97, regardless of
    Windows version.

    When the data changes, rerun the macro with that statement in itto
    export new pictures of the chart.

    - Jon
    -------