How do I eliminate duplicate values on y axis of an Excel chart?

  1. #1
    Paul
    Guest

    How do I eliminate duplicate values on y axis of an Excel chart?

    I've created a simple line chart with smoothing. The chart has two data
    series. The chart looks fine except that the Y axis has each value
    duplicated.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I eliminate duplicate values on y axis of an Excel chart?

    Paul, this might be due to a number format which shows no decimal digits
    but a major tick spacing of 0.5. Excel wants ticks at 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2,
    2.5, and 3, but the number format forces them to 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3.
    Change either the tick spacing or the number format to make it right.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Melbourne, Australia
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: How do I eliminate duplicate values on y axis of an Excel chart?

    Thank you Jon, this helped me.

  4. #4
    Providence, RI
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    Re: How do I eliminate duplicate values on y axis of an Excel chart?

    I just figured this out in the mid 2022 version of excel:
    1. Right click the Y axis
    2. Click on format axis
    3. Set the Y axis upper range under Bounds > Maximum
    4. Set the Y axis increments under Units > Major (This is the main part of your question, I'm not sure the Minor is for though)
    And that's all!

  5. #5
    Providence, RI
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    Re: How do I eliminate duplicate values on y axis of an Excel chart?

    Untitled.pngHere's an example screenshot.

  6. #6
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,926

    Re: How do I eliminate duplicate values on y axis of an Excel chart?

    Quote Originally Posted by msmith508 View Post
    Attachment 782865Here's an example screenshot.
    Although this thread is over 5 years old, Im sure your input will help some members, thanks for thar
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford