Label columns in column charts

  1. #1
    uriel78
    Guest

    Label columns in column charts

    Now, it's Easter time, but I still need to work to complete my
    thesis...well, let's go on...:-)

    I've got a column chart in which the height of each column represents the
    sum of unique values, so that if the column's height is 4, it means it
    represents the occurence of 4 single events (1+1+1+1)

    Now, referring this example I wish to label each column placing the name of
    the single events, so, if the column's height is 4 the labels should be

    from 0 to 1 -> e1
    from 1 to 2 -> e2
    from 2 to 3 -> e3
    from 3 to 4 -> e4

    (note that I have the labels in my active sheet)

    As I have many columns in my chart, I'd need to do this operation for every
    single column...

    is it possible to do such a thing??

    Thanks in advance and may everyone have a peaceful day...!

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Label columns in column charts

    Yes, it's possible to do. You can do so by installing one of the following
    data labeling add-in tools into Excel:

    Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler add-in located at:

    http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

    and/or John Walkenbach's Chart Tools add-in located at:

    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/charttools.htm

    These tools will allow you to add a range of data labels outside of your
    regular chart range. As such, you can customize those labels to read
    anything you want.

    Both are free and contain detailed instructions as to how to install and
    use. You can download them from the websites above.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    uriel78
    Guest

    Re: Label columns in column charts

    Thank you for youyr suggestion, I try both of the utilities but I can't find
    how to do what I need...I can't believe that I must apply labels one by
    one...I'll get crazy....:-(

    messaggio news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    Re: Label columns in column charts

    Both utilities will allow you to accept a range rather than one cell one at a
    time. If you're using labels on a per point basis, both utilities should
    work fine.