How do I add column A data labels to a scatter of columns B and C?

  1. #1
    Christina1
    Guest

    How do I add column A data labels to a scatter of columns B and C?

    I have made a scatter plot using columns B and C as my x and y coordinates. I
    would like to use the data in column A to label my points. I already have the
    XY chart labeler 97 installed and selected, but I don't know how to get the
    data labels to show up on my graph.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I add column A data labels to a scatter of columns B andC?

    Hi Christina -

    There are a couple of well written Excel add-ins you can download to do
    this:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

    Both are free downloads, they install easily, and they integrate into
    Excel's interface very nicely. They let you select a series, then select
    the range that contains their labels.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Christina1
    Guest

    Re: How do I add column A data labels to a scatter of columns B an

    Jon, thank you.

    What I was trying to say is that I already have Bovey's XY chart labeler. I
    don't know how to apply it. I am still making scatterplots and hoping to add
    labels. I have Bovey's product selected under Format/Add-ins. Working in
    excel, what is the process (i.e., what menus do I pull down) of selecting the
    labels and making them appear?

    Thanks,
    Christina

  4. #4
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    Re: How do I add column A data labels to a scatter of columns B an

    Christina,

    To activate the chart labeler, click once on the chart you want to label.
    Go to the standard toolbar and select Tools -> XY Chart Labels -> Add Chart
    Labels. A dialog box should appear with three input boxes. The first input
    box is titled "Select a Data Series to Label". Choose the series that you
    want to label here - the box will show the series names. The second input
    box is titled "Select a Label Range" - is self explanatory - choose the range
    that contains the data that you want to show on your chart as labels. Last,
    you can choose the position of the labels if you want. Finally, hit the OK
    button and your labels should appear on your chart.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com