Zero Values in a Pie Chart

  1. #1
    DMc2005
    Guest

    Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    Hi

    I currently have some data as shown below:

    Item 1 0
    Item 2 3
    Item 3 6
    Item 4 5
    Item 5 0
    Item 6 9

    How can I exclude the zero items automatically, the data shown below is
    going to change regulary and i do not want to have to keep change the source
    data manually.

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    You can use AutoFilter to hide the rows with 0s as Chart does not display
    data that's hidden.

    HTH

  3. #3
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    Andy Pope shows how to do this via te use of dynamic range names here . . .

    http://www.andypope.info/charts/piezeros.htm

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  4. #4
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    In a pie chart no slice is shown for a zero value, so unlike other chart
    types you don't really need to cater for it. Or, do you mean not display
    Legend Entries with zero values. That could be done with a macro, though it
    would need to be rerun each time values change.

    Regards,
    Peter T

  5. #5
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    To add to Peter's response, you can make a separate column for the pie
    labels (presuming you're using labels, not the legend, for the slices) that
    yields an empty string for those values that are zero. This way, you get no
    labels for zero-value items:

    Label Chart label Value
    Tom =IF(C2<>0, A2, "") 1
    Sally =IF(C3<>0, A3, "") 0
    etc.

    Use the Chart Label column for the chart. You can hide that column.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    Alternatively, you can use a custom number format that excludes zero
    displays, like one of these:

    0;;;
    0%;;;

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  7. #7
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    Jon,

    I don't think I follow. The idea is to make the label disappear when the
    value is zero. The label and the value are in separate cells.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:e%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    Earl,

    Jon's neat idea will display no value in the label, and the label
    "apparently" disappear providing labels are formatted with Fill and Border
    "None".

    In Format labels..., try custom number format like this:

    General;General;

    "General" can be changed as required but nothing after the second ";", the
    zero value format.

    This also assume that Labels are set to "show value" rather than "show
    label" in Chart Options > Data Labels.

    We never did learn what the OP didn't want to show, so we don't know if his
    Labels show values or labels, if indeed his problem concerns labels !

    Regards,
    Peter T

    PS your idea is very clever !

    news:#[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    Peter,

    Yeah. I presumed the OP wanted category names for labels, not values. I
    think Jon's solution was for showing values.

  10. #10
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Zero Values in a Pie Chart

    Earl -

    That's right, I was thinking of values, and I replied to your post without noticing
    that the formulas pointed to the labels.

    - Jon