Can I plot in excel the last entries of database automatically????

  1. #1
    tiw
    Guest

    Can I plot in excel the last entries of database automatically????

    I'm trying to create a chart that automatically will chart the last 90
    entries of a list of information (containing only numbers) without having to
    change the range every time. Please any suggestions????

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Can I plot in excel the last entries of database automatically????

    Hi,

    Have a look at Jon's example, hopefully you can modify to suit your data.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DynamicLast12.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Can I plot in excel the last entries of database automatically????

    tiw,

    This article explains how to make a 13 month trend dynamic trend chart. You
    could easily modify the instructions to include 90 periods instead of 13.

    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=518

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  4. #4
    tiw
    Guest

    RE: Can I plot in excel the last entries of database automatically

    Thank you, it was very helpful, I practice on sample data and it works but
    when I apply it to my own data, I have a problem with the labels on the
    x-axis. I'm using a
    xy scatter chart, and I have date from Aug 2004 to Feb 2005, and it's not
    showing that it shows, whatever 1900, and I don't know how to change it.
    It's plottign the dta ajust fine, but the x-axis display is so wrong. My
    chart is not in the same page with the data ii's on a shhet on it's own. Any
    ideas of why is this happening?
    Thank you

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Can I plot in excel the last entries of database automatically

    Are the X axis values 1 Jan 1900, 2 Jan 1900, 3 Jan 1900, etc.? Those represent 1,
    2, 3, which is what Excel uses for X values in an XY Scatter chart if it doesn't
    recognize the values. Make sure the X values are truly numerical values, because
    this is a common reason for the axis to misbehave. And it only takes one nonnumeric
    cell to poison the X values. To find it, remove alignment formatting from the
    column: select the column, choose Cells from the Format menu, and on the Alignment
    tab, choose General for Horizontal alignment. The numbers are aligned to the right,
    text to the left.

    Make sure that there is actually a range defined for the X values. Chart menu >
    Source Data > Series tab, select the series and see what's in the X Values selection
    box.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP