"Bring to Front" Data Labels?

  1. #1
    Rob
    Guest

    "Bring to Front" Data Labels?

    I have a chart that has lots of data labels, so many that some of the labels
    become partially obscured. I have a routine that runs whenever a label is
    clicked upon, and one of the things I'd *Like* to do is to mimic a drawing
    object "Bring to Front" function. Is this possible?

    The way the chart is constructed might help (or hurt) my chances: I am
    graphing a tree chart, instantiated as an xlXYScatterLines Chart, and each
    "node" in the tree is represented by a series with two points (node and
    parent node). Each series gets one datalabel (at the node, i.e. the first
    point in the series gets a label, the second doesn't).

    I guess it's possible that I could re-order the series collection when the
    label is selected, so that the series selected is last (and thus, I presume,
    the datalabel is drawn last). I don't know if this would work, but I'd
    really like to avoid this since it takes a couple of seconds to redraw the
    chart, and that could get annoying...

    Thanks!
    Rob

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: "Bring to Front" Data Labels?

    Rob -

    You could dispense with the regular labels, and use a utility like Tushar Mehta's
    Chart Hover Label add-in (http://tushar-mehta.com), which pops up a custom label as
    you mouse over items in the chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: "Bring to Front" Data Labels?

    I've seen that tool, but it doesn't do the trick. The series names are bilt
    programmatically, and this app doesn't let you do that. I could fix that, but
    as you know the code is protected.

    I was able to get a satisfactory solution by using the MouseMove event and
    building (or rebuilding) a "last series" whenever the mouse is over a label.

    Thanks.