Excel Charts

  1. #1
    Sandi
    Guest

    Excel Charts

    I am trying to copy a chart from one workbook to another that are linked
    together. when I copy my chart and select paste in my other workbook I get
    the error "No more new fonts may be installed in this document". I am able
    to copy or move it into my other workbook, but must hit ok to this error
    about 15 times before it lets me proceed. What can I do to fix this?
    --
    Sandi Gardner

  2. #2

    Re: Excel Charts

    Hi -

    You're probably running into internal resource limitations in Excel.
    How complex is your source and target workbook? If you've got multiple
    charts in both you're going to run into the infamous 256 font
    limitation (if you have more than 256 font combinations, Excel runs out
    of resources...)

    John

  3. #3
    redbelly
    Guest

    Re: Excel Charts

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > You're probably running into internal resource limitations in Excel.
    > How complex is your source and target workbook? If you've got

    multiple
    > charts in both you're going to run into the infamous 256 font
    > limitation (if you have more than 256 font combinations, Excel runs

    out
    > of resources...)
    >
    > John

    Wow, thanks! I've had the same problem, and wondered about it. I
    guess by "font combination", you mean any combination of font, text
    size, color, bold/italic/underline, and other richtext options.

    Does anybody know if a large number of font combinations would also
    cause the size of an Excel file to grow, inexplicably, to many times
    what it "should" be? This is another problem I've had, and it seems to
    happen in files of mine with many (around 30 or so) charts.

    Thanks,

    Mark

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel Charts

    What happens with "font resources" is that Excel needs one font resource
    per chart, or two if you have font autoscaling enabled. (So I guess
    parts of Excel are still living in DOS.)

    The VBA and Registry procedures described on this page turn off font
    autoscaling, which supposedly doubles the number of charts you can have
    without getting that annoying memory error.

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FixFonts.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    redbelly
    Guest

    Re: Excel Charts

    I've been bugged by font autoscaling for several years, thanks for
    showing how to turn it off.

    I've now disabled font autoscaling for all text (except for the 2nd X
    axis) and saved this setting in my default chart, so I'll never have to
    worry about it again.

    Thanks again Jon,

    Mark