Column Charts - stacked and grouped

  1. #1
    jtd1
    Guest

    Column Charts - stacked and grouped

    I would like to chart three series. I would like two
    columns in each group. The first column in a group would
    be series 1. The second column in a group would be
    series 2 and 3 stacked on each other. Is that possible?
    I've come close by using secondary axis but the columns
    are plotted over each other.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by jtd1
    I would like to chart three series. I would like two
    columns in each group. The first column in a group would
    be series 1. The second column in a group would be
    series 2 and 3 stacked on each other. Is that possible?
    I've come close by using secondary axis but the columns
    are plotted over each other.

    We might be having similar problems, you'll notice if you read my thread. What do you mean by a group... could you include the data in your message?

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: Column Charts - stacked and grouped

    Check out Jon Peltier's site at www.peltiertech.com

    I know he has something there on this, but I don't have time to look it up
    right now.

  4. #4

    Thanks for replying

    ... But I know about what Jon Peltier has regarding this, and it is not quite helpful since he's working only with line charts, and the problem I have is that I'm working with multple series for stacked-columns.

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Column Charts - stacked and grouped

    Here's what Barb was looking for:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...sterStack.html

    It provides a few links to sites with good descriptions of
    clustered/stacked columns. Your first column position in the chart has
    only one series in the stack, the second has two.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  6. #6

    This is what I want

    Hi Jon,

    You're close to understanding me. All I want is that same chat that includes a third set of data, which will be audience. Imagine that the first column in each category will be for Investment ($) data and that the second column is for number of insertions. In that case I would need two axis or I could just normalize the insertions to the primary (investment) axes.

    But what about the third set of data? Unlike the other two set of data, they are not to be stacked or clustered. I just need one data point for each category.

    This is a chart I want to develop for Competitive Advertising Investment in Television.

    Primary X axes (categories) would be for Channels.
    Right Columns in each channel (category) would be for Investment.
    Left columns would be for insertions.
    Both columns would be stacked with the announcers (from Sanitary Protection product category)
    And then, I need a line to show the audience (expressed in Average Minute Rating %).

    So it's as simple as adding a line series to the one you have in http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Cha...sterStack.html

    Thanks Jon for your response and I hope I have expressed myself in a way you can understand me

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Peltier