Counting datapoints/records in time interval

  1. #1

    Counting datapoints/records in time interval

    Hi group,

    I have a lot datapoints (y-axis) over time (x-axis).
    What I'd need is now something like an aggregation/counting of the kind:
    amount of datapoints in all 1 minute intervals plotted as bars/scatter/...
    Is there an easy way in excel to acomplish this?
    Is programming needed here? If so, has anyone got a pointer for this IMO
    standard problem?

    Many thanx in advance
    edw.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Counting datapoints/records in time interval

    Assuming your X values are in A2:A2002, put the times you want to sample
    into D2:D100 (or whatever size range you need). In E2 enter this formula:

    =SUM(IF(TEXT($A$2:$A$2002,"hh:mm")=TEXT(D2,"hh:mm"),1,0))

    then hold down CTRL+SHIFT while pressing Enter. Excel will put {curly
    brackets} around the formula if it's done correctly, because it's an
    array formula. Fill this formula down column E as far as you have times
    in column D, then make your chart with the data in D and E.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services