Creating a High-Low-Close chart with multiple series?

  1. #1
    The Chad
    Guest

    Creating a High-Low-Close chart with multiple series?

    Hi Everyone,

    I’m trying to create a High-Low-Close stock chart with 2 data series. Right
    now, I can only get the chart to plot a single data series. I’ve spent some
    time playing with the chart options and doing some internet research but
    still I haven’t found any answers.

    My data looks something like this:
    Stock A
    Date High Low Close
    6/30/2005 5 3 4
    7/30/2005 10 6 8
    8/30/2005 8 7 7.5
    9/30/2005 9 2 5.5
    10/30/2005 6 3 4.5
    Stock B
    Date High Low Close
    6/30/2005 50 30 40
    7/30/2005 100 60 80
    8/30/2005 80 70 75
    9/30/2005 90 20 55
    10/30/2005 60 30 45

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks!
    The Chad

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Creating a High-Low-Close chart with multiple series?

    TC -

    You can only have one set of high-low lines per axis group, and it's these high-low
    lines which provide the vertical lines. What you need to do is put all six series
    into the chart, then format one set of three to be plotted on the secondary axis
    (double click a series, and on the Axis tab, select Secondary). Then format the
    secondary axis Close series (select it using the drop down on the Chart toolbar,
    because it's not visible) so it uses the short right pointing dash as its marker,
    and on the Options tab of the formatting dialog, check High-Low Lines.

    An alternative approach is to plot only the Close data for the stocks of interest,
    and compute two sets of line lengths for each: one for High-Close and the other for
    Close-Low. Use these ranges as the ranges for custom Y error bars.

    Read about error bars here:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ErrorBars.html

    - Jon
    -------