Timeline Problem

  1. #1
    Andibevan
    Guest

    Timeline Problem

    Hi All,

    I am trying to create a time-line graph by usineg a stacked bar chart.

    I am having problems setting the min and maximum for the X axis (date).

    Whatever values I put in for the min and max values seem to reset to 0 and
    100,000 - is there a resoon for this?

    How do I set my min and max as 1/1/04 and 15/6/05 respectively?

    I have tried putting the date and the numerical date in but this doesn't
    seem to work.

    Regards

    Andi

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Timeline Problem

    When you refer to the X axis are you refering to the vertical or horizontal
    axis? Excel treats the Horizontal axis of a Bar chart as the X axis for some
    applicaitons but not all.

    are you generating your stacked bar data by doing delta dates after the
    first one?
    did you try formating the horzontal Axis as date?

    I can do on my computer what I think you are trying to do

    make sure you use the datevalue for entering max and min on the axis

  3. #3
    Andibevan
    Guest

    Re: Timeline Problem

    Hi - your correct - I mean the horizontal axis that in this situation is
    actually the Y axis.

    How do I format the horizontal axis as a date - this may be a help.

    When you say "make sure you use the datevalue for entering max and min on
    the axis" I presume you mean the number i.e. 5th April 05 = 38447?

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    Re: Timeline Problem

    double click on the numbers at the axis and select number date and the date
    format you want.

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Timeline Problem

    Andibevan -

    You should be able to enter the date as you know it, without converting it to
    something like 38447. Work through the Gantt chart example on this web page:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP