[SOLVED] Missing lines in chart w/x-axis with months 1-24...

  1. #1
    DendWrite
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Missing lines in chart w/x-axis with months 1-24...

    First post from a "casual" Excel user (more familiar with SigmaPlot)...

    Client wants a line chart with x-axis linear (baeline to 36 months) but
    there are only data for 2 baseline conditions and certain months:
    on-drug
    off-drug
    M3
    M6
    M12
    M24
    M36

    The Y axis (# of pellets) is nothing special.

    I entered blank rows, corresponding to the missing months, into the
    datasheet, like so:
    on-drug
    off-drug

    M3

    M6

    M12 (etc.)

    This "method" plots the data points okay, but there are 2 problems:
    (a) there are no lines connecting them, and
    (b) the x-axis labels are lousy

    I worked around "b" by manually adding text boxes instead of x-axis labels,
    but the missing lines problem is a major pain (I manually added lines, but
    sometimes they don't hit the data points on center, and any resizing is a
    bear!).

    Is there a better way for Excel to deal with missing data and draw the lines
    automatically, as it does if there are no empty rows in my datasheet?

    Any help appreciated. Sorry for the length, but I figured it's better to be
    specific.

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Missing lines in chart w/x-axis with months 1-24...

    Hi,

    In order to make things easier for the chart wizard to guess your data
    layout try adding a little more information to your data when you create
    the chart.

    B1: =# Pellets
    A2: =""
    A3: =""
    A4: =M3
    B4: =1 ' replace 1 with real data
    A7: =M6
    B7: =1 ' replace 1 with real data
    A13: =M12
    B13: =1 ' replace 1 with real data
    A25: =M24
    B25: =1 ' replace 1 with real data
    A37: =M36
    B37: =1 ' replace 1 with real data

    Leave the cells not referenced blank.
    Now select the range A1:B37 and create a Line chart using the chart
    wizard. With the chart selected use the menu Tools > Options. On the
    chart tab make sure the 'Plot empty cells as: Interpolated' is checked.

    You may need to alter the 'Number of Categories between tickmarks' to 1
    in order to see the M labels. Double click the x axis and go to the
    Scale tab to change this value.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    DendWrite
    Guest

    Re: Missing lines in chart w/x-axis with months 1-24...

    Andy,

    (Hey na, hey na...) The lines are back! That works quite nicely (even on my
    existing graph).

    Thanks very much,
    Mike